Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Knitting Some, Playing Lots!!

This weekend was busy, busy, busy!! I had the dinner party - which was fabulous and went without a hitch!! I made homemade gravy (what some people, including my family calls pasta sauce), with sausages and meatballs, homemade manicotti (shells and all), homemade eggplant parmesean, a salad, bread and bought dessert (there is a limit to what I can do in a day.) The production team was appreciative and a good time had by all. Bear in mind, that we all worked at the theater that day too.

I'll show the knitting portion of my post first so those of you who don't want to read about the theater portion, can surf on out!!


Here is another 'bowl' I felted. The only thing that disappointed me was that the stitches showed through. I knit it with Lambs Pride Bulky and put it in the
washing machine for at least 25 minutes and still.....you can see the stitches. Hmmm.


Ok, here's a picture of some of what I also accomplished this weekend. We are gearing up for the opening of "The King & I" and here are pictures of the progress so far. Although the pictures don't do it all justice, you can still get an idea of what it will look like. Also, do you remember I talked about sewing a traveler curtain for the show? And do you remember me saying I'd share a picture once it was hung? Well, here it is. I wish the picture was better, because it is very stunning to look at. You can't really tell by the photo, but it is hung at least 10 feet from the front of the stage. It is basically used to mask scene changes while giving you a decent playing area. If you were to use just the proscenium curtain, you'd only have 2 1/2 feet of playing space - not enough, believe me.

Here is a picture of the shoji screens before they are painted or mounted on the platform. And a pix of the platform before the stairs and facing.


This next picture is the painted shoji's with the uncovered louvers and the facing on the platform before the painting. Notice too the temporary stairs. The guy in the picture is Jon - he designed the set.


Now, these are the real stairs. They will be painted black and marbled for effect!!

Here is a picture of the shoji screens (there are 10 of them), not much to look at like this but they are backed with a white fabric and slide along in tracks for different configurations. They will then be lit from behind with different colors during different scenes. The guy in the picture is my hubby, Christopher.

This is a picture of one of the louvers covered with really interesting fabric. The general colors to the set are (as you can tell) red, black and gold. It's very ornate looking and with the lighting design . . . Magnificent!! Notice the painted portions of the facing. That is the first coat.


Doreen and Jim are shown here reupolstering the chaise I mentioned in the post "Not Much Knitting". It really came out nice. I do wish I'd taken a picture of it before we stripped it.


Here's a close up on it practically finished.


Whew!! I'm exhausted just looking at the pictures, never mind working on all the projects.

Hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures as much as I enjoyed sharing.

2 comments:

Procrastiknitter said...

Wow, I've had that problem with the Lamb's Pride Bulky felting. Thanks for sharing your picture.

catsmum said...

hi Elaine
thanks for stopping by my blog :] as for the basket, I'm not familiar with that wool but
try putting it through a second time ... the cat basket I made last month needed two goes, so it might work for you. I used the hottest setting and an old old towel for the agitation [ because I have a front loader ]