Monday, June 26, 2006

What To Do???

Every since I can remember, I've always been crafty. Although, I have to admit, instead of drawing with crayons when I was four, I liked to eat them. I wouldn't take huge bites out of them, just shave them with my bottom teeth. Hey, maybe that's why I love chocolate shavings now. And the funny thing is, at the time I couldn't figure out how my mother knew I had been eating them. It could have been the residuals dotting my teeth and lips? I bought a loom from a friend. His mother was heavily into weaving and after she passed on he inherited the loom and all the accoutrements. It's a LeClerc 60' Mira. I bought the whole kit and kaboodle for a low price and I can't believe how much I have. The loom is huge. It's now sitting in our dining room area. It's a counter - balance loom with up to eight harnesses. It also came with 5 shuttles, a warping board, a spinning wheel, a ball winder, a bobbin winder, a Dorothy table loom, a knitty noddy, and lots of things I don't know what they are. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got her whole stash - lots and lots of cones and lots and lots of knitting yarn. Talk about FUN!!!

My hubby and I took a 6 week beginning weaving class at a local fiber store and I made a table runner. I totally picked out the wrong colors and will probably cut and hem it into a bunch of dish towels. The colors are too close to each other to make it pretty, but hey, it was my first attempt. I'm sure my next time, it will be oodles better. I'll use contrasting colors like my husband did. The one thing I didn't anticipate is that as the fabric wraps, you can't see what you've done already and if you're just winging it, like I was, it's easy to forget your 'pattern'. Hubby's came out much nicer.

I want to insert a picture here, but don't know how to do it? If anyone could give me pointers? When I try to insert it, it goes to the top of the page. Any help is appreciated.

So, why the title "What To Do?" I just don't know if this loom is to big. At the shop that I took the weaving lessons, the owner has a few smaller floor looms for sale and I was thinking, should I sell this huge loom for a small loom? I look at this one and get overwhelmed a little, but the cute 'smaller' ones, makes me want to weave. My hubby thinks I should use this one first, so we'll see. I suppose I should but I have to get someone in here to 'set it up' first.

I've really been enjoying knitting - and have many projects I'm working on. More about that later though.

No comments: